|The primary goals of the Shale Resources and Society Institute are to:
- Address environmental, economic, social, and legislative concerns related to shale gas and oil development.
- Build a well-informed citizenry through a base of community knowledge regarding shale gas and oil development, while carefully balancing academic and public education.
- Bring all sectors together to make intelligent decisions based on the best information available.
- Work with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Train students in energy-related fields and prepare them to fill future leadership roles.
Facilitate potential economic benefits without damaging the environment.